Saturday, March 5, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up: What a Horrible Week.

This week was just awful. I feel like I was productive at school, but that school took over my life in a way that I shouldn't allow it to.

A couple years ago, I had another long-term sub job and I was constantly at school way too late. I was always spending hours grading during the week and my entire Sunday sitting at the kitchen table planning and prepping. Parts of that had to do with the fact I was in my first year and that I was completely on my own for planning. School took over my life.

I promised myself that I wouldn't let that happen again, but this week took me back two years to that level of insanity. I was at school for really long hours. I brought too much home with me at spend all night Tuesday and Wednesday grading until the wee hours. I think me being tired led to a little meltdown Friday afternoon. I was tired and worn out and ready to just sleep.

And sleep I DID. I was in bed by 6:45 Friday night and fell asleep quickly. I ended up sleeping for 16 solid hours-straight through the alarms I had set. But when I woke up yesterday, I didn't feel like myself. My body ached, I had the chills, and my throat was all scratchy and uncomfortable. I took it easy and watched some mindless TV. I also checked the handful of papers some students sent me (I have essays due in 3 of my 5 classes next week. I did not plan that well for grading purposes). The rest of the night was spent with some books.

This morning I am still feeling slightly like death. I have some things to do-like laundry at my parents', but I am not feeling up for it. I just want to lay in bed all day and sleep/read. But if I want clothes to wear to school tomorrow, I suppose I should get to it, huh?

Needless to say, I got little reading and blogging done this week. I tried to spend some time yesterday commenting and reading, but I don't think I got very far. Oh well, it happens.

I am hoping for much better things this week, and progress to be made in my readalong titles. I have yet to crack any of them open, so it might be time to get that done.

Anyway, I have clothes to wash and a few tests left to grade.

Hope you all have a great week!

19 comments:

  1. I hope the upcoming weeks will be much better and you'll start getting sleep again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you have to delay the readalong posts, we certainly understand! I can see how work would get in the way. It stinks that the standardized tests kept you from grading papers, reading, etc. Just one more reason to dislike them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is suppose to be fun, not stressing, keep that min mind (The Three Musketeers is one of my favorite books).

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this week is better than last and that you feel better asap! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! Having essays for 3 out of the 5 classes *is* rough. I used to have students keep journals that I would grade every two weeks. *sigh* Packing up 110 journals to read/comment for a weekend drained me so I can completely understand where you are coming from. My saving grace was that they were different. Reading papers on the SAME topic!!! Ice pick to my eye. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is SO hard to find that ideal balance between teaching and having a life. I think you were wise to just take it easy yesterday! And just remember: with teaching, sometimes there are days and weeks that just require a bigger time commitment (like when those essays come in!). Hope this week is better for you and that spring break is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teaching can be an obscene timesuck. To do it well, requires hours of prep time and hours of grading time outside of the time spent actually teaching. It is the type of job that could never end if you don't force yourself to set it aside. I honestly believe I could spend every waking moment doing nothing but planning, prepping, researching, grading, etc.

    And there are times when you do spend every possible moment doing those things. Unfortunately.

    I hope you can ease into a better balance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally sympathize as this week was total crap as well.

    Sometimes listening to what my body is telling me is so difficult; other times I give in completely. I am glad you got rest and hope you feel better soon.

    Not to sound too much like a mom (cause I ain't one), but take your vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there. I just finished grading an essay for three of my classes and then they turned in another right on the heels. I have to get it done before I go to New York for Spring Break, but I don't wanna.

    Hope you have a wonderful week next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you're feeling bad, Allie. I bet you're an amazing teacher. And you can't be the first to give too much of herself in the first years, and slowly learn that teaching and living, require balance.

    Sending best wishes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there! I hope its just a bad week and that it gets better soon. I also hate feeling I'm loosing control of my own life but I can understand how it can be even harder to reach a balance if you're a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you feel better soon, and that this week goes better. Good luck with the grading and finding the balance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you have a good week this week :) Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there, Allie.:-)
    It sucks when work bleeds over into your non-work life. Sometimes it's a necessary evil that you just have to deal with. That's how I look at it anyway - I may be stuck with it until I win the lottery or rescue a rich heiress from drowning while on vacation or something...
    jay

    ReplyDelete
  15. See, I'm the type where I would just buy new clothes for work instead of worry about laundry. BUT I am not normal.

    That's one thing I dread about teaching, having it take over my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope this week is much better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, I remember those days and I feel for you.

    It sounds like you're doing the right thing by being proactive about pursuing balance.

    Hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wishing you a much better week this week. It happens to all of us occasionally, no matter how long we've been teaching. Be good to yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This happens to the best of us. We get sucked up in our jobs, spending way too much time working when we really did not intend to.
    Sometimes we just have to step back from are lives forget about everyone and everything we have to do and relax. Go out for coffee with friends, get lost in a good book. I know this can be very difficult however there are times that it has to be done to just stay sane.

    ReplyDelete