I make goals and resolutions every year, but it is new to share them openly. I did post my blog related goals last year, but I am also including some personal goals as well-more on that at the end of the post.
Everything is broken down by category. I have a lot of lofty goals for this year!
- Continue project list-main goal is to hit book 200 by the beginning of 2013
- 10 "fun" reads throughout the year (I strayed a LOT this past year from my project list. To clarify, a "fun" read is anything not considered a classic)
- 30 minutes of reading/day minimum (This is an old habit I am reinstating. I used to read for 60 minutes every day in college, but sometimes I let a day or two go by without picking up a book. I want to be reading on a daily basis).
- Continue to post a minimum of 3x a week
- Sponsor 2 themed months (Shakespeare Reading Month is taking place in January. I am thinking of doing a Victorian Month in the summer...)
- Include more personal posts (this is something I really want to do. While I know it may take me out of the realm of "book blogger," this is something I need to do for myself as an outlet)
- Comment on blogs! Probably my biggest failure as a blogger is reading posts and not commenting.
- Discover new-to-me book blogs!
- Participate in the two Dewey's readathons in 2012-April and October
- Participate in other "classic-minded" events during 2012 (Classics Circuit and Persephone Reading Weekend come to mind-these titles do not count as part of my 10 "fun reads")
- Continue my presence on twitter...(@alliedanielson)
- Continue maintaining my goodreads page and update with past books read and future books
- I can quit any challenge by November 30, 2012 if I am not close to completing it without any guilt :)
- Go to the gym 3x per week
- Weight Loss goal: 50 lbs in 2012 (This would be a good start. And after Amanda did it, why can't I?)
- Apply to grad school by May 1 and decide on a program to start in the fall
- By the end of 2012, I should have a clearer goal in mind-either working in a permanent teaching position, or doing something else. I can't keep subbing.
- 1 date night per month :)
- Spend time on my other hobbies: crafting, scrapbooking, etc.
- Cook 3x per week (I am not a bad cook, but sometimes it is hard to cook when I might be the only one home-Matt works a lot of nights. I also want to learn some new recipes and share a little bit of that here).
- Develop a daily cleaning routine (I think my mental health will improve if I become a little neater-not that I'm a slob, but it would be a good habit to make sure all the dishes are washed before bed, trash is out, etc.)
I feel like 2012 has a lot of great things in store. In many ways, I feel like 2011 was a really hard year. While it certainly had its good moments, there were also a lot of negatives. I battled some serious depression in late summer/early fall that I am still recovering from. It was bad enough that I came home many, many days and cried for no good reason besides feeling worthless. I've gained even more weight after losing about 15 pounds earlier in the year. I'm struggling to maintain a healthy balance in my life. And while I know it won't all change at once in the new year, I am excited about turning over a new leaf. I am ready to put everything behind me and move forward.
How long can I really let the past bother me? I can't continue to let life pass me by. I can't continue to let forces outside of my own control dictate the kind of life I have and the kind of person I become. If I let that happen, I won't like the person I become.
So, you will definitely see more of me on the blog in the new year. I have held back some...and I felt that for awhile, I lost my passion for this project. It has come back after some tough conversations with various individuals, so I am bringing it back. I am excited and motivated once more. :)
Thank you all for your kind comments in 2011. I look forward to getting to know you all better in 2012!
Oh yeah, let's hope we all read some phenomenal books! :)