Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Book 47: Robinson Crusoe and Book Stats.

Title: Robinson Crusoe
Author: Daniel Defoe (1659-1731)-I should point out that the actual date of his birth is unknown, but it is somewhere between 1659 and 1661.

First Published: 1719
My Edition: Bantam Classic
Pages: 278

Other Works Include: Atlantis Major (1711), Captain Singleton (1720), A Journal of the Plague Year (1722), Moll Flanders (1722), Roxana (1724)

There is a lot of interesting information about Daniel Defoe and the craze he started with the publication of this little novel. It is regarded as one of the first stories of its kind-an account of adventure and intrigue that took hold of the world when it was first published. It sold out of FOUR printings in the first year it was released, which was in 1719. That is truly remarkable!

It also launched a whole genre of novels with similar themes. The term for the genre is "Robinsonade" as a homage to the wonderful action and ingenuity that this novel explores.

In addition to Robinson Crusoe, I will also be reading Moll Flanders for my challenge. I have had limited experience with Defoe. I have read a few of his essays (for a college class), but have never attacked one of his larger works. I am really looking forward to this and seeing how the orginal island survival story pans out! Given my love for the TV show LOST and that kind of island survival, I have to wonder if Defoe and his hero have more success!

7 comments:

  1. Nnnng, I hated Robinson Crusoe. BUT, I had to read it all in one week, for school, and it was the same week (well, one of many) that I was having a huge fight with my then-boyfriend. So I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to read you again, Allie! I am going to read this book! sounds great!

    news: i was accepted in my english literature course! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I read it when I was 15 or so and I must admit I found it extremely boring (then again there's not too many characters to keep you entertained)... So I'm quite interested to see if this is maybe a book I should consider rereading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others I read this book in High school and I don't think it has aged as well as some of the classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this book, but I recently read The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins that refers to it a lot, so it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Robinson Crusoe. I read it aloud to my very young child (I think he was 18 months old and it was an excuse to read my book when he was playing because he liked to hear my voice, etc. yes I'm weird) but going so slowly made it quite satisfying. I love seeing Crusoe's spiritual development, and I really do look forward to a reread in another year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have mixed feelings about Robinson Crusoe. As Amanda referenced it is mentioned a lot in The Moonstone. That is what got me to read it.
    It is long and tedious, but not without merit. i look forward to hearing what you have to say.

    If you are interested, here is the link to my review:
    http://ouryearinbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/robinson.html

    ReplyDelete