Friday, May 7, 2010

Book 38: The Call of the Wild and Book Stats.

Title: The Call of the Wild
Author: Jack London (1876-1916)
First Published: 1903

My Edition: Watermill Classic
Pages: 137

Other Works Include: "To Build a Fire" (1902), White Fang (1906)

London is well-known for not only his novels, but his short stories. Many of his novels and short stories are written about the wilderness and survival in the elements. His two best known works are The Call of the Wild and White-Fang, both of which are on my list.

London's short stories are also staples in class literature. His story, "To Build a Fire" is most well-known. When I was a senior in college, my partner in teaching at a local middle school developed an entire unit around the story.

I have read The Call of the Wild before, as well as many of London's stories, but I can't recall details. The premise of the novel is simple: a domesticated dog is taken into the northern regions (Alaska) and feels the call of the wild and returns to the wilderness. I remember it being a powerful story, but also very condensed. At 137 pages, this is easily a book I can finish in one sitting!

5 comments:

  1. I've never read this one, although I generally knew what it was about. Can't wait to read what you have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this at a second hand book stall the other day and din't buy it, now I regret it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I had never heard of London before this post. Hopefully, you like the book and I'm convinced to pick it up when I read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started this on audio in December and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was always a favorite of mine ... hope you enjoy revisiting it!

    ReplyDelete